Evidence collated by The Camping and Caravanning Club has revealed that camping really does make you richer in mind, body and soul.
Over 60 research studies reviewed by leading academics at Liverpool John Moores University and an online survey proved conclusively that people who camp are happier, have closer family relationships, are healthier, less stressed and are more socially connected. The results are revealed in ‘Real Richness – The List’, some of the key findings include:
- 93% of campers say camping can make you happier
- 77% of campers are satisfied with their quality of life compared to 59% of non-campers
- 21% of campers feel stressed on an average day compared to 33% of non-campers
- 91% of all children say spending time exploring the outdoors with their parents makes them happy
- 80% of children who camp feel their parents are less stressed when they go camping and three-quarters say their parents shout less!
- Seven in 10 people agree that camping is accessible to everyone regardless of income
- 79% of kids who have never camped say they would like to.
Matthew Eastlake, marketing & communications director at The Camping and Caravanning Club, added: “At the Club, we believe that being rich isn’t only about money. We think it’s about a truer kind of wealth.”
A research team led by Dr Kaye Richards, a senior lecturer in outdoor education at Liverpool John Moores University and chartered psychologist of the British Psychological Society, believe advocating ‘access to camping for all’ may now be more relevant than ever before.
Dr Richards said: “It seems that something transformational often happens when we camp that doesn’t happen when we just go for a walk, a bike ride or a day out – a greater immersion in nature which we get by being there at dusk and at dawn is something that differentiates camping from what others are saying about the benefits of doing other activities in nature.”
‘Real Richness – The List’ is available to download at www.realrichness.co.uk.
Pelican Communications are specialists in the environment, food and drink, outdoor and leisure and packaging sectors and offer a range of services such as media relations, brand management, event management and people development. Contact us for marketing and communications expertise.