APEAL – the Association of European Producers of steel for packaging, created an animated video to highlight the role steel packaging can play in helping achieve the goals and objectives set out in the European Commission’s Circular Economy Package (CEP).
The animation explains to businesses, consumers and legislators why the circular economy is important and why steel packaging is an ideal material for the CEP.
Specialist packaging PR agency Pelican, was asked to promote the animation across traditional and new media platforms. The campaign delivered impressive results and won a Bronze Award at the European Association Awards 2018.
To gain the widest awareness for the video we focussed our attention on the main social media platforms: Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook as the best means of positioning the circular economy animation.
On Twitter we utilised hashtags including: #circulareconomy, #steelpackaging. We also capitalised on existing campaigns from third parties, for example, #zerowaste week to encourage further engagement in the posts.
In addition, search engine optimisation was utilised, to increase online visibility. The animation itself, placed on search engine, YouTube lent itself to prime optimisation material.
This was supported by targeting traditional media relations across Europe with titles in the packaging and environmental sectors to generate awareness with audiences less active on social media.
The results of the campaign were impressive.
- The first Twitter post of the animation achieved 4,941 impressions
- LinkedIn’s top post featuring the animation achieved 1.345 impressions, 11 clicks, 15 social interactions and 1.93% engagement
- YouTube – with its own YouTube channel, APEAL’s animation has achieved 1,300 views to date since it was launched (3000+ views if we add known member & partner platforms)
- The animation was also included on the APEAL website with social media platforms used to drive traffic directly to the link and in turn to the site.
European press coverage was achieved in major packaging, recycling titles including:
- The Canmaker magazine: 3,500 circulation to directors, presidents, engineering and research and design industries worldwide
- CanTech International: 3,700 circulation, online circulation 5,096
- Lets Recycle: readership includes waste management, facilities manager, retailers, steelworks, central government, local authorities, 33,000 circulation, online 170,000 unique users per month
- Euractiv: a key title targeting key EU decision-makers
The animation was also adopted by several key can makers such as Tinware Direct and Crown, who commented:
“It’s a useful tool for our teams to show to prospects and customers to convince them to choose metal for their packaging,” Karima Abbari, CROWN Aerosols & Specialty Packaging Europe.
Pelican Communications is a specialist in the environment, food and drink, outdoor and leisure and packaging sectors and offers a range of services such as media relations, brand management, event management, design and people development. Contact us for marketing and communications expertise.